Steppe Gold defines its purpose to mitigate and rehabilitate the impact on environment as much as possible, support biodiversity offset and sustainable development and develop responsible mining in every phase of its activity by using natural resource appropriately and implementing prevention actions in International level, therefore undertakes the following responsibilities.
- Operate in strict compliance with the laws, regulations and legal framework of Mongolia, introduce relevant International standards and operate in compliance with standards by basing its activities on Internationally accepted industrial best practices.
- Regularly monitor potential environmental impacts and plan and implement actions to prevent from any risks in every phases of its operation.
- Establish the optimal environmental management system of the company, improve internal auditing and define and implement any required environmental actions.
- Implement planning and research work of mine closure from mine operation period.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, Steppe Gold will:
- Organize trainings to raise awareness of all company employees, suppliers and contractors regarding significance of any environmental risk mitigation and prevention actions and developing positive environmental behavior and culture.
- Aim to establish internal environmental management system and revise procedures, regulations and programs every year to ensure the compliance with international standards and other environmentally related legal frameworks.
- Define and implement environmental goals and objectives annually in compliance with current year’s activity and submit environmental reports to company management and governmental authorities in timely manner.
- Ensure transparency of company operation related information to the public and support engagement of and cooperation with local government, citizens and herders.
- Implement appropriate management for water usage and join the “Mine and Water management” voluntary codex developed and implemented by International Finance Corporation of World Bank.
- Implement the mine closure research work from first year of mine operation by developing Mine Closure Plan.
Provide with human and other resources to implement this policy and disclose the policy to the public.